compensation: 40-55k DOE employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Forts Ferry Farm is seeking a knowledgeable and open minded individual to join our team. The farm manager is a key role in our operation and should be a detail-oriented problem solver who is organized, responsible, and attentive.
Position: Farm Manager
Job Type: Full-Time
Who we are...
Forts Ferry Farm was created to cultivate a greater sense of community through a common love of food, fun, and living well. We are a small team of down-to-earth, creative & committed individuals who are inspired by a love of food and hospitality. We believe that food, much like art, has the power to inspire and unite people. We aim to shed light on the Capital District's rich agricultural past, by bringing together heirloom seeds sourced from around the world, sustainable growing practices, and thoughtfully curated goods. Located in the heart of Latham, NY, Forts Ferry Farm grows roughly 120 different varieties of heirloom produce throughout the year. Our produce is sold at our retail shop, farmers markets, and to restaurants throughout the Hudson Valley. Forts Ferry Farm is continually expanding and evolving in ways that foster the talents of our team, and the education of our community.
Farm Manager Position Summary: Crop production is the heartbeat of our operation, and the Farm Manager will play an integral role in the growth and development of the Farm. This individual will be honest, inquisitive, energetic, and be interested in food, wellness, & the arts. The Farm Manager will oversee all aspects of crop production, farm infrastructure, and management of farm staff. The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership and communication skills and be comfortable working both collaboratively and independently. This position requires dedication and skill in intensive growing techniques, personal and professional maturity, creativity, and commitment to the vision and mission of Forts Ferry Farm. Key Tasks include establishing crop production; land preparation, crop plan design/rotation, ordering, planting, pest management, irrigation, propagation, transplanting, weeding, harvesting, cleaning and packaging of produce for shop & wholesale clients. The Farm Manager should be passionate about the culinary arts, healthy eating, and sustainable agriculture.
Job Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Develop and implement crop plan, planting, and harvesting schedule for each season (spring/summer/fall/winter), including greenhouse plant propagation, and four-season management of high tunnel.
• Track farm operations and data, including crop plans, harvest log, germination rate, planting schedule, growth tracking, compost production, and soil nutrient management.
• Project expected produce available for harvest on a weekly basis.
• Support farm infrastructure development including irrigation systems, greenhouses, outbuildings, and equipment.
• Supervise farm team in day to day tasks.
• Adhere to farm health code guidelines and inspections.
• Harvesting, washing and packing for retail according to GAPs and FSMA specifications.
• Utilize sustainable organic agricultural methods, to include weed management, integrated pest management, and development of soil structure through composting and other organic methods.
• Assist in implementation of farm education, volunteer programs, and events.
Qualifications & Requirements
• 3+ years of experience in vegetable production using sustainable agriculture practices
• 3+ years of experience with operating and maintaining agricultural equipment
• 2+ years of management experience
• Experience in managing crop rotation & planting schedules
• Implementing and maintaining irrigation systems
• Knowledge of food & health safety guidelines and environmental standards/ regulations
• Valid Driver's License
• Agricultural / Horticultural Degree
• Livestock experience
• Experience with organic pest management & weed control
• Ability to work within a small team
• Computer Skills: specifically experience with MS Excel
Job Type: Full-Time (hourly commitment will vary throughout the year)
Compensation: Salary: 40k-55k per year DOE Health Insurance coverage eligible after 1-year of employment.
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, their resume, and three professional references. The position is open until filled.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers